2.25.2009

Stile Eyeconz: 4th Grade ad infinitum

There are some pictures of me at around age 10 wearing a candy necklace and otherwise looking deranged. That's because I was just one step into the process of transforming myself into Nona F. Mecklenberg, younger Pete's friend on The Adventures of Pete and Pete. The F stood for Frances but it may as well have stood for Fashion, with her bowling shoes, tube socks, and elastic floral print skirts. She made me long for a pair of rainbow striped pants and a blue knit hat with pearl beads. It probably would have been cute to wear these things when I was in 4th grade, but I don't think it was quite in line with my mother's vision for me and anyway we shopped at Mervyn's. I still have latent Nona tendencies. The best thrift store in the world is a mere block away from my house and I'm making up for lost time. The translation of Nona onto an adult body, however, is kind of bag lady meets Blossom.

And of course there is Ramona Quimby, the reason I've had a bob haircut for most of my life.

Who are (were?) your style icons?

6 comments:

Daniel Merrill said...

When I saw the picture (and before I read your post) I assumed that the Museum Of Modern Art was finally coming around to said 4th grade girls in candy necklaces.

Rachel S said...

Ah, if only Dan! But, of course, you can't expect anything on my blog to be museum worthy.
Also, YOU DIDN'T SAY WHO YOUR STYLE ICON IS/WAS!!!

Limbless Jack said...

F for fashion...well i dont know about that? and this fashion icon business? does googly eyes count?

V said...

-Claudia, from The Babysitters Club!
-Rainbow Brite
-these two older girls from my school: Gina and Helen
-all of my boyfriend's ex-girlfriends because I'm an idoit.
-these days it's: http://www.leblogdebetty.com/

Rachel S said...

Oh man that Betty girl sure seems to have it right!

V said...

yeah, we're getting married
bisous etc