11.11.2009

Hanging Out With My Mom: Our Mutual Profession and How Weird It Is



There are very few perks, I'm learning, in the dental profession aside from TOOTHBRUSHES! TOOTHBRUSHES FOR FREE!* But occasionally, there are dental events that the dentist will pay for you to attend with pinot noir, lasagne, and a motivational speaker with a comedic style in a banquet room at the Hilton. These events are good opportunities for dentists and sellers of dental equipment and materials to shmooze and make business arrangements. These events are like mini-versions of Dental Conventions, which rage on for many days in exotic locales like Hawaii and Las Vegas and were, from what I hear, a sort of publicly sanctioned gigantic key party back in the 70s. Of dental conventions, my mother astutely summarizes, "You could get into some trouble at one of those. I think even I could still get into some trouble at one." Dental professionals can log a certain number of hours or "points" after attending such an event that count in some esoteric realm of which I'm only remotely aware and have no desire to explore. Tonight I attended such an event with my mother, Debbie "Knows No Strangers" Scott, an RDA with over 30 years in the 'biz. As we parted the sea of business casual with glasses of pinot gripped sloppily in our fists, she immediately began identifying people she'd worked with before and introduced me to several Dental Professionals of Her Past. I stifled the urge to say "Ain't that the tooth," in response to all statements directed my way, figuring they would nullify all my Possible Career Advancements. "There's that doctor I had a fling with years ago," she murmured. Strangely, I received neither an introduction nor an identifying point in the man's direction. The dinner was decent but it was hurled at us and was snatched away just as quickly. I hadn't time to wonder if what I had eaten was in fact lasagna before the motivational speaker emerged in all his chubby white loud guy telling jokes glory. I was pleasantly laughing along and soaking up the motivational "dental family message," not thinking much of it until he said, "Dental front offices are populated by freaks. Where do they get these people? They had to have a relative that got them the job-- McDonald's rejected them." Was he a psychic? How did he know so much about me? My office contingent was pointing and laughing at me while I indulged in cartoonish, hammy shoulder shrugging. Again, a prime opportunity for that dental pun came and went.

Later, I'll identify this event as catalyzing a deep look at the direction my life is taking. Much cartoonish, hammy shoulder shrugging will follow.








*limited to amounts of unnoticeable-by-boss quantity

3 comments:

Alisha! said...

RACHEL you're doing this dental event stuff ALL WRONG!!! These gatherings are the perfect opportunity for you to get in a little 'trouble' now, and play his heart strings until you end up with a RICH OLD DENTIST HUSBAND AND HOLIDAY HOUSES AROUND THE GLOBE!!!

Alisha! said...

P.S. Shoot for the oral surgeons if you got em

Rachel S said...

Alisha, you touched on a left-out portion of this story. My dear old mom actually suggested the same thing. I did talk to an oral surgeon. I have so much finesse. This is how it went:
me: "Hey we've actually met before. I think you yanked some of my teeth out." (then i start motioning to the places where the teeth were, as if they could have been anywhere but my mouth).
him: "Yes, I've been known to do that."