8.02.2010

The Call of Nature and The Call to Serve


Back in 2005 I needed badly to use a restroom on a day trip to San Francisco. Naive as I was, I thought nothing of using one of those cylindrical, self-cleaning public pay toilets downtown. Upon inserting my quarter, such unspeakable horrors of humanity greeted my stunned senses that I ran out, unrelieved, and refused to even speak of what I saw for years afterwards. Let's just say the self-cleaning mechanism malfunctioned and either one person or many people and one blind, violently ill bear retaliated by leaving steaming mounds of liquefied fecal matter in all kinds of places in addition to the overflowing toilet, and that's the least troubling thing I noticed.

More recently, a lengthy battle with moderate constipation (and an unhealthy desire to talk about it constantly to whoever will listen) made finding comfortable public places to poop an issue of utmost importance (and a refreshingly frank icebreaker!)

With these distressing incidences now behind me, I want to unveil my latest (only known recorded) effort at helping my fellow man: a google map of places in San Francisco with comfortable public restrooms, conducive to "letting it rip." Consider this an open call for all you folks who are familiar with the area to contribute your favorite places to the map. Maybe if people had better knowledge of the adequate restrooms available, they'd be less inclined to defecate on every square inch of sidewalk in my neighborhood. Wishful thinking?

1 comment:

tortellini said...

dearest rachel,

i have found myself in this predicament more times than i'd like to admit. let me tell you some of the saving graces i have stumbled upon:
1. ritual coffee. this is my go to pee spot when i am walking up and down valencia street drinking cup upon cup of iced coffee (not necessarily from ritual but that is a definite shoe in). what's great about their bathroom is it's in the waay back of the cafe so you can run in and run out and no one will be the wiser!
2. dolores park. now, i know what you're thinking. public park=public bathroom=lots and loots of stds. well, that's true mostly but it's a lot more private than popping a squat on a street corner. although i would not recommend using this facility for "number two".
3. maybe a public library? i've always imagined public libraries in san francisco to have pristine bathrooms where you could just hang out and do your business and take a load off but it may just be a dream.

i hope these help!